Alcohol Poisoning & Intoxication
What Is Alcohol Poisoning?
Alcohol poisoning is a serious and sometimes deadly consequence of drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate, body temperature and gag reflex and potentially lead to a coma and death. Alcohol poisoning can also occur when adults or children accidentally or intentionally drink household products that contain alcohol.
A person with alcohol poisoning needs immediate medical attention. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, call for emergency medical help right away.
Alcohol Poisoning Signs and Symptoms
Some symptoms start mild and grow worse. Signs of alcohol poisoning include; smelling like alcohol and confusion or slurred speech, damp or clammy skin. Some symptoms of alcohol poisoning are more serious.
Poor coordination or stumbling
Trouble staying awake
Slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute)
Long pauses between breaths (10 seconds or more)
Very slow heartbeat
Low body temperature
Bluish or pale skin
Slow responses (such as gag reflex)
Alcohol Poisoning Treatment Options
If you’ve consumed dangerous amounts of alcohol, doctors may “pump” your stomach. This keeps any leftover alcohol from getting into your bloodstream.
Seeking Immediate Care, What to Expect
When you visit the iCare, our team of exceptional and experienced physicians will immediately assess your situation, provide life saving intervention if needed and provide a physical examination. Your care team may perform laboratory testing from our on-site lab. Once you are diagnosed, a treatment plan will be provided based on severity of your condition and symptoms. In the event that a patient requires hospitalization or other procedures that we do not offer at iCare, we are able to transfer them to a hospital for admission.