Heartburn & Indigestion
You know it when you feel it: that full, uncomfortable sensation in your belly during or after a meal. If you have burning or pain in the upper part of your stomach, you may be experiencing heart-burn or indigestion, also called dyspepsia. For quick relief of Heartburn visit an iCare Emergency Room and Urgent Care location in Fort Worth and Frisco, TX.
Symptoms of Heartburn and Indigestion
- Belching and gas
- Nausea and vomiting
- An acidic taste in your mouth
- Fullness during or after a meal
- Burning in your stomach or upper belly
- A burning pain in the chest that usually occurs after eating and may occur at night
- Pain that worsens when lying down or bending over
Treatment for Heartburn
Lifestyle and diet changes may help lessen heartburn as well as many nonprescription medications can help relieve heartburn. The options include:
- Antacids, which help neutralize stomach acid. Antacids may provide quick relief. But they can’t heal an esophagus damaged by stomach acid.
- H2 blockers, which can reduce stomach acid. H2 blockers don’t act as quickly as antacids, but they may provide longer relief. Examples include cimetidine (Tagamet HB) and famotidine (Pepcid AC).
- Proton pump inhibitors, which also can reduce stomach acid. Examples include esomeprazole (Nexium 24HR), lansoprazole (Prevacid 24HR) and omeprazole (Prilosec OTC).
Chest pain may be a symptom of a heart attack. Seek help right away if you have severe chest pain or pressure, especially when combined with pain in the arm or jaw or difficulty breathing.Others may suffer from chronic heart burn issues otherwise known as GERD.Make an appointment with your health care provider if:
- Heartburn occurs more than twice a week
- Symptoms persist despite use of nonprescription medications
- You have difficulty swallowing
- You have persistent nausea or vomiting
- You have weight loss because of poor appetite or difficulty eating
What To Expect
When you seek care for heart burn or indigestion at iCare Emergency Room and Urgent Care, you will be evaluated by board certified emergency physicians and registered nurses. Upon arrival patients receive a free medical screening evaluation to assess your condition and symptoms and assign you to the appropriate department. For minor illnesses our team can help identify and treat many the symptoms in our urgent care. If your condition includes chest pain or other heart related issues and is more severe or life threatening, we are able to treat you in our ER or transfer you to a local hospital. After exam and any additional laboratory testing that is needed, your medical care team will create a treatment plan including administering medications as needed in order to help you feel better sooner! Next time you become in need of emergency or urgent care, visit one of our convenient DFW locations.
Leave a Reply